Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow

One of my absolute favourite things to do ever is skiing. Which is weird, because I didn't even go on a ski trip until I was 24 years old, and that weekend at Thredbo (in Australia) with a bunch of girlfriends was somewhat less than successful. But there is something totally addictive about the sport when you get it right. Add that to the fact that The Man of the House is a fabulous skier, and my addiction was set for life when we began dating all those years ago. 


We even went skiing on our honeymoon - 14 glorious days in the French and Swiss Alps - far from the beach side resort lounging that most of our now married friends have opted for. So I think its pretty clear just how important skiing is to me (us). This, of course, was one of the biggest draw cards of coming to London. The incredibly close proximity to the awesome slopes of Europe was just too good to pass up. And as we edge ever closer to that first snowfall, our thoughts have turned to ski holidays and long apres-ski sessions with friends. 


Who knew that finding a chalet for 6 people in Verbier in January would prove so difficult? For the last two weeks I have felt a little like this:




Not only is it impossible to please everyone (so I quickly discovered), apparently Verbier is the most expensive place on the planet. Of course, none of this mattered to me when I suggested it as our first major ski destination since moving to London. Now I can see why so many people suggest those smaller, less well known resorts when you ask them their favourite. Thank goodness that I finally stumbled upon someone who could help me out, actually emailed and phoned when she said she would, and came up trumps in the "finding a chalet" quest. Big shout out to Independent Mountain (http://www.independentmountain.com/) if you are ever looking for a chalet!


So all in all, I am only missing perhaps one handful of hair. But I now also have the excitement of an impending ski holiday at a resort that I have wanted to ski at for quite some time. 


Although the cold and dark can be depressing at times, for skiers it also means one very important thing - SNOW. So fingers and toes crossed for a terrible winter with a tonne of the white stuff!






Adios....

No comments:

Post a Comment