Monday, October 24, 2011

Black on black







OK so I am going to indulge in a little congratulatory (and frankly, trumpet blowing) writing. Just this once I promise. 


Being born in New Zealand comes with one requirement. Thou must support the All Blacks through everything. Even when times are tough and it seems like there is never going be another win...thankfully for most of my life this has not been an issue as we have continued to steam-roll our way through most of our opposition, most of the time. 


Except for the Rugby World Cup. Our performances here in the past have been, well, a little on the poor side I will say. Losing to nemesis team France in previous quarter finals, the Wallabies who always seem, annoyingly, to rise to the occasion of the World Cup, and even more lowly teams than those. I doubt I am the only All Blacks patriot who lost a large amount of hair every four years since 1987. 


But not this year!! I think I have neglected to breathe for the last month as the World Cup has been played out in my home country. Yesterday morning I finally was able to exhale, raise my arms in triumph and relish that, for the next four years at least, no one will be able to dispute with any credibility that we are the best team in the world. The fact that we had beaten France was just icing on the cupcake really. Eden Park in Auckland looked amazing from my sofa and I wished I was back home to celebrate with my fellow kiwis...alas, the cold winds of London will have to do for now! 


One thing is certain though. After everything that our little country has gone through in the last 12 months, nothing on earth could taste sweeter than holding aloft that tiny Web Ellis Cup. Cheers New Zealand. I will be seeing you again in the future. 








Till tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment