Saturday, October 22, 2011

On a bicycle made for two...





Well, maybe not exactly! 


But since it was a Saturday, the sun was shining and The Man of The House was at home, he persuaded me to make the most of it and go for a bike ride. The two of us are both "into" cycling and our road bikes had arrived from Australia a couple of months ago with the rest of our furniture. Cycles to date in London had been....well.....a tad of a disaster. Unlike in Sydney, the roads are winding, small and often one way. Throw in having no clue where you are going, and a bunch of crazy people in cars, and it's a recipe for disaster (or at least a domestic argument!)


I am sure you can understand my reluctance. Being a good wife though, I conceded and off to the streets we took. The grand plan was to cycle on one of the so called cycle "super highways", the dream baby of the City of London Mayor, and somehow end up at Richmond Park. This was quite an undertaking....and needless to say we didn't quite make our final destination. Once the "super highway" ended, we got a little lost and decided to make the 45 minute trip back home instead. 


Despite not achieving our goal, I still felt pretty good about myself. This ride had been somewhat less of a disaster than previously, and I felt like being on a "super highway" protected me a little from those crazy Saturday morning drivers (a problem anywhere in the world really). Anyway...it was mildly fun. I really do applaud the institution of the cycle highways, it makes getting around London so much easier. I am also amazed that in such a massive place as London it was possible to actually put them in! 


Kudos to you, Boris. 


See you next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment